Prof. B.S.Satyanarayana holds a Ph.D in Electrical Engg from Cambridge University UK ( a first in the area of vacuum nanoelectronics at Cambridge Univ. UK). He has over 30 years of experience working in Industry, R&D institutions, Academics and Government Policy in India, UK and Japan and with other international partners. This includes establishing new entrepreneurial ventures, setting up new labs in Academic, R&D & industrial environment, change management, defining new government policies and defining new pedagogy in academic environment. Thus leading to first of its kind technologies, products, process equipments, characterisation tools, and pedagogy, besides multiple fold increase in revenues in the short span of time and human resources capacity building. The outcomes include initiating & implementing of many projects, with funding to the tune of over $ 50 million, two patents granted, filled for 10, published over 120 papers in journals & conf. proceedings, and delivered over 200 invited and contributed presentations in conferences and workshops. He has guided 3 Ph.Ds (10 currently registered), multiple PG & UG student projects. At all the places of work he has entered new domains, created new facility, trained new teams, demonstrated new technologies bringing in frugal innovation and creating an environment for Make in India in his Indian activities. He is also member of various professional bodies including MRS, SID, Life member of IMS, ISSS, BSI, national and southern regional committee member of India industrial bodies like CII, FICCI and NKFH related to education & environment, government agencies and Board Member in a couple of new companies.
Awards For His Work At National And International Forums Include:
- Wipro Earthian Award for Sustainability (2014)
- SkillTree Education Evangelist of India (2013)
- Karamveer Chakra Medal (2013) from International Confederation Of NGOs (iCONGO) In Collaboration With UN. The National Medallion is In Honour For Proactive Voluntary Citizen Action To Be & Lead The Change.
- Cognizant –RVCE Best Researcher Award -Gold Medal (2012)
- Philips Ideation Award for novel medical instrumentation (2007)
- CISCON best paper award for his work on novel room temperature grown nanocarbons for Vacuum Nanoelectronics based Instrumentation (2007)
- Best paper: Asia Society for Information Display- work on novel Thin film Transistors (2006)
Novel And Innovative Initiatives And First Of It’s Kind Technology Developed Include :
- Developed & demonstrate the feasibility of the world’s first room temperature grown nanocarbon based cold cathode lamp in 2004. In the process also developed novel process and characterisation equipments and the activity was spun off into a new company in three years from its inception.
- Developed & Demonstrate Japan’s first cold lamp technology using diverse nanocarbons other than CNT in a startup company in 2001, including designing and setting up of lab scale novel process and characterisation equipments. The company was sold to 2 different companies after two years based on two different process technologies.
- Transformation of a 45 year old teaching institution (7000 people) in 5 years into an international class institution, with over $10 million worth of funded R&D, 50 industry based courses and labs, new pedagogy in engineering education, linking teaching, learning & research with a focus on interdisciplinary experiential learning. These led to establishment of a first of its kind, completely indigenously developed Centre of Excellence in Macroelectronics with a capability to work on large area and Flexible electronics from concept, simulation of atom or molecule to material, device and even integrated circuit growth on glass, plastic and other substrates. NBA-MHRD, Government of India chose RVCE for assessment of India’s new NBA process by international observers, for India’s entry into Washington Accord in 2014.
- First Ph.d in Cambridge University UK in the area of Nanocarbon based Vacuum Nanoelectronic devices in 1999.
- At Instrument Design and Development Centre(IDDC)-HARTRON-UNDP Project, Ambala Cantt, he was involved in design, development and adaptation of technology developed by NPL , New Delhi and facilitating mass production of indigenous Optical coatings for optical instrumentation for Air force, other Defence agencies, ISRO and indigenous photocopiers companies, leading to Import substitution 1990 and a 10 fold growth in revenue in ~ 2 yrs.
- At National Physical Laboratory – New Delhi he was involved in the team that Development and Demonstrated India’s first Integrated Amorphous Silicon Solar Cell Panel technology on Glass in 1988 and also developed a 11.3% efficiency amorphous silicon solar cell with world’s highest reported current density of 22mA/cm2 in 1988.
- Was also part of the team that developed India’s 1st Indigenous Plasma CVD system for Diamond like Carbon (DLC) Growth for AR coatings, tribological applications and Defence use (300mm size) for night vision systems.
- Involved in setting up the First Semiconductor device and Circuit design and fabrication facility in an Indian University 1990 at Electronic Science Dept, Kurukshetra University and also introduced course in the area of large area Microelectronics for the first time in an academic institute in an university in India.
- Establishing an Innovation Center for interdisciplinary industry academic collaboration at Manipal University , leading to incubation of a company and two products development/ verification for MNCs in health domain and introduction of new courses in the area of MEMS, Flexible Electronics & Space Tech including setting up new labs for design and fabrication, all in 30 months in 2007.
- As the Scientific Affair Specialist and Advisor on Environment, Science & Technology issues at the US Embassy New Delhi, contributed to facilitating enhanced Indo US S&T collaboration in domains including Nanotechnology, Clean energy, environmental issues, Biotechnology, and ease of the VISA process for Indian Scientists, Engineers and students.
Areas Of Technical Interest /Expertise Include:
- Areas of expertise include Academic teaching, R&D, Knowledge Management, Technology Innovation, Strategic planning and implementation, turn around or change management, analytics, production & marketing with an emphasis on sustainable and inclusive technologies. Technological areas of interest / work include Nanotechnology (Materials & devices), Vacuum Nanoelectronics, Clean Water, Clean and Sustainable Energy Generation and Harvesting (Solar PV, Solar thermal, Biomass based power Generation, Conversion of waste coal & lignite to clean fuels, biofuel generation, Waste based Energy generation, Hybrid Power), Large Area and Flexible Microelectronics, MEMS and Sensor based systems, Medical Instrumentation, Flat panel displays, Aerospace, Automobile, Opto-electronics, and Thin film & Vacuum Technology.
- At BMU he is involved in realising the vision of university, by working with the University Team in evolving a new pedagogy for outcome based education, linking interdisciplinary experiential learning, sustainability, and social responsibility, with industry–academic interaction, research and inclusive innovation. Thus facilitate a process of making education a joy and not a drudgery, and hence leading to creation of holistic ethical leaders, with state of art knowledge and skills to build the future of India and the World, and in the process enable the University to grow into an international class institution.
Organizations He Has Worked Earlier Include:
- Environment, Science & Technology Office, US Embassy, New Delhi
- Think-Tanks Project, Rodel-Nitta-Japan
- Cambridge University, UK
- Sistec, Industry-Academic Collaborative Research Centre, KUT, Kochi-Japan
- National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi
- Instrument Design and Development Centre(IDDC)-HARTRON-UNDP Project, Ambala Cant
- R. V. College of Engineering (RVCE), Bangalore
- Electronic Science Dept, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- Innovation Centre, Electronics & Communication, Manipal Institute of Tech, Manipal University