Prof. K.A. Padmanabhan is an Indian academician currently working as the Professor of Eminence in Department of Mechanical Engineering, Anna University Chennai.
K.A. Padmanabhan obtained his B.Sc in Metallurgy from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India in 1968. He obtained his PhD from University of Cambridge, Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science (Now called Materials Science and Metallurgy), Cambridge, U.K. in February 1972.
Awards and honours
- University of Cambridge, UK, conferred on him the higher degree of Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) for his "research contributions" in July 1998. He is the FIRST Indian Engineer / materials engineer to receive this rare distinction.
- FIRST INDIAN to receive the ‘FORSCHUNGSPREIS’ (Career Research Award) of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in 1994
- Was appointed following a global screening process as the Mercator Professor of the DFG (German Research Foundation) during January - December 2009, a position he held at University of Muenster, Germany
- Honorary Academician, Bashkirian Academy of Sciences, Russia
- Life Fellow and Honorary Member, Indian Institute of Metals; FIIM
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering, FINAE
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, FIAS
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, India, FNASI and several others.