Dr. A.K Prasada Rao
- Designation: Professor Head of Dept. Mechanical
PhD in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from IIT Kharagpur,2007.
Prior joining BML University, he was with Alliance University, Bangalore for a short stint as an Asst. Dean-RESEARCH. PhD in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from IIT Kharagpur,2007.
Dr. Rao earned substantial Industrial, Teaching and Research credentials during past 20 years, of which he spent a decade in overseas where he worked with:
- Center for Advanced Aerospace Materials, POSTECH (www.postech.ac.kr ), Pohang, South Korea
- College of North Atlantic-Qatar campus (https://www.cna-qatar.com/ ), Doha, Qatar
- Brunel University (www.brunel.ac.uk ), London, UK
- University of Oxford (www.ox.ac.uk ) (Academic Visitor), UK
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (www.ump.edu.my )
Dr. Rao also serves as a reviewer for several research funding bodies of Malaysia and Czech Science Foundation.
The invention of a novel master alloy (MODIFINER) and the method of its production for combined grain refinement and modification of hypo-eutectic Al-Si foundry alloys was a significant contribution of his Ph.D. work. He was instrumental in developing a new technology of producing an Al-clad Mg-alloy strip through twin-roll casting, which inspired attracted the attention of many other researchers. At Brunel University; he had set-up a Direct Chill Casting Pilot plant and proved that a stator-rotor melt-conditioning technology can successfully be implemented on an industrial scale both for Al and Mg alloys, where he had an opportunity to work with University of Oxford, UK. His research interests include solidification processing of metallic systems and sustainable manufacturing of metallic systems; 3D-printing of metallic materials.
Physical Metallurgy; Alloy Design and Development; Metallurgical aspects of WEAR (Tribology); Micro-structure-Property Correlations in Metallic systems (Alloys/ Composites); Solidification Processing of Metallic systems (Alloys/ Composites); Advanced Structural Materials (Metal based); Scanning Electron Microscopy; Rapid Solidification Processing(Melt spinning); Twin Roll Strip Casting; DC casting
Recycling of metals, Solidification processing, Alloy design and Development, Al-Si alloys, WEAR of metallic systems, metal matrix composites, Cladding of Mg alloys, Advanced Materials (Nano-Materials, Bulk Metallic Glasses), DC casting of Al/ Mg alloys, 3D printing.
Industrial Consultancy Project: Melt casting projects at Rockman Industries Ltd (India).
Sponsored Research Projects as Principal Investigator (Malaysia): 80,000 USD
Research Profile (Google Scholar): https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=Dfr16RgAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Service as Reviewer (ISI indexed Journals):
1) Materials Letters
2) Journal of Alloys and Compounds
4) Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals
5) Materials Science and Engineering-A
6) Scripta Materialia
8) Journal of Crystal Growth
9) Materials Research Bulletin
10) Tribology International
11) Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance
12) Materials Characterization
13) Metallurgical and Materials Transactions- A
14) Thermochimica Acta
15) Journal of Materials (TMS, Springer)
16) Materials and Design
He has authored around 60 articles, in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings with nearly 600 citations (h-index: 12) and holds two patents.
Please find the list here
Subjects Currently Teaching
Structure and Properties of Materials (Course coordinator); Emerging Materials Science and Applications (Course coordinator); Workshop Practice (Course coordinator)
Awards & Achievements / Honors
- Senior Research Fellowship awarded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of INDIA, New-Delhi for the Year 2004- 2005.
- Research Associateship awarded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of INDIA, New-Delhi for the Year 2006- 2007.
- Best poster award in the International Conference on Solidification Science and Processing, 2004(ICSSP2004), November 17-20, Bangalore, India.
- AshokLeyland’s Best Technical Presentation award presented at the International Symposium of Research Students on Materials Science and Engineering, December 20-22, 2004.(ISRS)
- Best poster award in the International Conference on Advanced Materials Design and Development, 2005 (ICAMDD2005), December 14-16, Goa, India.
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship awarded by Center for Advanced Aerospace Materials, Pohang University of Science and Technology (www.postech.ac.kr) during 2006 to 2009.
- SAPA Research Fellowship awarded by BCAST, Brunel University, London, UK (March 2011 ~)
- Best material-microstructure photograph in 2011, awarded for the Zr-based Bulk Metallic Glassy foam micrograph by Korean Institute of Metals and Materials (KIMM) – April 2011
- Member of Advisory Committee, PFAMXXII – Singapore, Dec 18-20′ 2013
- Academic visitor at Department of Materials, Beg-broke Science Park, University of Oxford, UK (2013).
- Course coordinator, Manufacturing Processes-1 (BFF2423) at Faculty of Manufacturing Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Pahang.
- Member of Advisory Committee, “23rd International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials (PFAM 2014), IIT Roorkee between December 5~ 7, 2014 (PFAMXXIII)
- Co-Convener, Conference on Advances in Light Metals and Composites (CALM2014), SRM University, 6-7 Dec 2014, INDIA.
- Chairman, International Manufacturing Engineering Conference (iMEC 2015)
- “Excellent reviewer” appreciation from the Journal of Metallurgical and Materials Transactions-A (2014) (TMS, ASM)
- “Guest Scientist”, Department of Metallurgical Materials Engg. IIT Kharagpur, India (2015)
- “Expert Member of the Technical Sciences Committee” GACR, Czech Science Foundation, Czech Republic (2015-2106)
- “Outstanding Service Award” for the year 2015, by Universiti Malaysia Pahang, MALAYSIA
- “Excellent reviewer” appreciation from the Journal of Metallurgical and Materials Transactions-A (2015) (TMS, ASM)
- “Outstanding Researcher Award” for the years 2014, 2015 by Universiti Malaysia Pahang, MALAYSIA
- “Best Reviewer” for the year of 2017 (One among 5 best reviewers of India) by Trans IIM and SpringerNature.
To read about his scholarly works, refer. And to know more about the Professor's achievements, Visit .